The CDC has confirmed another case of the coronavirus infection, the 15th confirmed case in the United States. The person infected is a U.S. evacuee from China located in Texas. Health officials say the person was evacuated from China to Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. The patient is reportedly in stable condition and is in isolation at a nearby hospital. Officials say the infection was confirmed through laboratory testing on Wednesday night.
The Centers for Disease Control and the City of San Antonio Metropolitan Health District held a new conference on Thursday to speak about the confirmed case and provide more details on COVID-19, the deadly coronavirus that’s infected tens of thousands and killed more than 1,000 people worldwide. The news comes just days after some people were evacuated from China and landed at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland and put under mandatory quarantine. San Antonio officials say that some residents are not under quarantine at Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, and instead are under self quarantine in their own homes.
Editorial credit: janusz.kol / Shutterstock.com
President Donald Trump’s longest serving aide, Hope Hicks, is expected to return to the administration in the coming weeks. Hicks, who departed in early 2018, will return in the coming weeks as a senior adviser reporting to Jared Kushner, the president’s son-in-law. Her official title will be counselor to the president.
Hicks served as Trump’s closest adviser, following the president from the campaign to the White House. She ended her tenure as the White House communications director in March 2018 while Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation was ongoing. Her resignation came the day after Hicks testified before the House Intelligence Committee that she had occasionally told white lies on Trump’s behalf, according to a source familiar with the interview.
Since her departure, Hicks has served as the head of communications for the Fox Corporation, the parent company of Fox News, among other entities owned by Rupert Murdoch. She appeared before the House Judiciary committee, and during the closed-door hearing, Hicks answered questions related to her time working on Trump’s 2016 campaign, but declined to comment on her work in the White House.
Two Ohio State University football players are facing charges of kidnapping and raping a woman, according to court documents filed in Franklin County Municipal Court in Ohio. Amir Riep, 21, and Jahsen Wint, 21, are charged with rape with the threat of force, and kidnapping with engaging in sexual activity, both in the first degree.
The incident happened on Feb. 4 and involved a 19-year-old woman, according to Columbus police. Both players turned themselves in to police Thursday evening and were being held at Franklin County Jail without bond.
In light of the case, Ohio State University also announced Wednesday that the players had been dismissed from the team.
Editorial credit: Ken Wolter / Shutterstock.com
Police in South Carolina on Wednesday released video of a girl exiting a school bus, the last known footage of the 6-year-old before she went missing. The girl, Faye Swetlik, got off that bus in Cayce, just outside of the capital city of Columbia, at about 3:45 p.m. on Monday. She was last seen playing in her yard before she was reported missing to police at about 5 p.m.
“We understand her disappearance is distressing to many members of the community,” Cayce police Sgt. Evan Antley told reporters. “We are trying to bring Faye home,” Antley added. “We’re asking people that live in that neighborhood, that do business in that neighborhood, we want to know what they know.”
Faye was last seen wearing a shirt with the word “PEACE” on it. The girl is 3-foot-10, 65 pounds, has a speech impediment and is lactose intolerant.
Sen. Bernie Sanders was declared the winner in New Hampshire’s Democratic primary on Tuesday, with candidates Pete Buttigieg and Amy Klobuchar close on his heels. Sanders led Buttigieg, the former mayor of South Bend, Ind., by less than 2 percent of the vote. Klobuchar, the senator from Minnesota, came in third place. When it comes to delegates awarded to the candidates on Tuesday, however, Sanders tied Buttigieg in New Hampshire with nine delegates apiece. Klobuchar earned six delegates.
Sanders pledged that whoever ended up as the nominee, “We are going to unite together and defeat the most dangerous president in the modern history of this country.”
Under New Hampshire law, voters who have registered as “undeclared” can cast their vote in either party’s primary. According to New Hampshire’s secretary of state, the state has 415,871 undeclared voters, more than those registered as either Democratic (276,385) or Republican (288,464).
Editorial credit: Andrew Cline / Shutterstock.com
Actor Jussie Smollett was indicted on Tuesday in Chicago, according to reports. The indictment, brought by special prosecutor Dan Webb, stems from the alleged January 2019 hoax attack against the former star of the Fox TV series “Empire.”
Smollett has been accused of hiring two brothers to stage an attack on himself that included tales of a noose and bigots screaming racist, homophobic slurs. Cops in Chicago, where Smollett lives and alleged the attack occurred, have said the actor made up the whole thing. He’s denied the allegations.
Smollett is due in court Feb. 24
Editorial credit: Eugene Powers / Shutterstock.com
Authorities shot and killed a man who opened fire on police Monday at a Walmart in Arkansas, leaving two officers injured.
Security guards at the Walmart in Forrest City, AK called police to report a man acting strangely and threatening people in the store. Two officers who responded confronted the man, who then pulled out a gun and shot both officers, authorities said. The officers returned fire, striking and killing him, St. Francis County Sheriff Bobby May said. He identified the slain suspect as Bobby Joe Gibbs.
One of the injured officers was shot four times; he was taken to Regional One Health in Memphis, where he was last listed in critical condition. The other officer was also shot and taken to Forrest City Medical Center for treatment. Walmart officials said in a statement that they were aware of the situation and working to assist police in their investigation.
Editorial credit: fotomak / Shutterstock.com
The Trump administration is requesting $25.2 billion for NASA in fiscal 2021, a 12% increase which includes $3.3 billion to kickstart development of a human-rated lander for the Artemis moon program. Nearly half of the budget request, $12.3 billion, is devoted to new and ongoing projects focused on the return to the moon and eventual flights to Mars.
NASA Administrator Jim Bridenstine said, “this is a 21st century budget worthy of 21st century space exploration and one of the strongest budgets in NASA history. If the president’s support for NASA wasn’t clear before, it should be obvious now.”
NASA states it will cost about $35 billion to fund the Artemis moon program through the first landing of a man and woman on the lunar surface in 2024. To make that happen, the budget request says NASA will need $25.2 billion in 2021, $27.2 billion in fiscal 2022, $28.6 billion in 2023, $28.1 billion in 2024 and $26.3 billion in 2025.
Editorial credit: Ingus Kruklitis / Shutterstock.com
Following Halsey’s appearance on Bring Me The Horizon’s EP “Music To Listen To…,” the artists have collaborated once more for a track on the Birds Of Prey soundtrack, titled “Experiment On Me.”
Take your first listen to “Experiment On Me” at the link here.
Editorial credit: Milan Risky / Shutterstock.com
U.S. President Donald Trump will propose on Monday a 21% cut in foreign aid and slashing social safety net programs in his $4.8 trillion budget proposal for fiscal 2021, according to senior administration officials. The budget will seek an increase in funds to counter developing economic threats from China and Russia, but will also raise funds by targeting $2 trillion (1.55 trillion pounds) in savings from mandatory spending programs in the United States.
The budget will raise military spending by 0.3% to $740.5 billion for the fiscal year 2021, starting Oct. 1 and propose higher outlays for defense and veterans, administration officials said. The White House proposes to slash spending by $4.4 trillion over 10 years.
That includes $130 billion from changes to Medicare prescription-drug pricing, $292 billion from cuts in safety net programs – such as work requirements for Medicaid and food stamps – and $70 billion from tightening eligibility rules for federal disability benefits.
Trump’s foreign aid proposal seeks $44.1 billion in the upcoming fiscal year compared with $55.7 billion enacted in fiscal year 2020, an administration official said.
Editorial credit: Evan El-Amin / Shutterstock.com